Thursday, April 16, 2015

Poppin' Jalapenos by Hannah


I love jalapenos. In salads, on pizza or just pickled with my popcorn, but my go to jalapeno snack is the amazing, too good,  destroy your insides jalapeno popper.  Okay, so that sounds horrible, but they are worth the pain!  These are easy to put together for just you or a large party.  Here's what you'll need:
  • As many jalapenos you want---I do about 5-10
  • Cream cheese-Just one package (might need less depending on how many jalapenos you have)
  • Shredded cheddar cheese
  • Bacon-I like thick cut
  • Capers-These aren't a must. If you don't like capers don't use them!
  • Ground Pepper
  • Toothpicks
  • A large pan--I use a glass casserole dish (glass just seems easier to clean)

This recipe is so easy you're going to think you skipped a step!

Preheat the oven to 400!

First things first, you have to gut the jalapenos.  Now this is where testing your tolerance comes into play.  I recommend putting gloves on for this.  I didn't the first time I made these and I had a dull, annoying burning in my fingers for a couple hours.  So, protect your skin! Start by making a slit from the stem to the tip of the jalapeno.  I use a measuring spoon to take out the membrane and seeds.  The smaller the spoon used to scrape the insides out helps keep the jalapeno from splitting.  

  Okay, now mix the cheeses, capers and pepper.  I use half the package of cream cheese for 5 jalapenos and the whole package for 10.  Just use what you want.  It all depends on how much you actually like cheese.  For poppers I love lots of cheese!  When I add the cheddar cheese I use a handful, approximately 1/2 to 3/4 cup. When adding capers the amount depends on how salty you want these to be (remember you're using bacon too). I typically use about 2 tablespoons of capers.  Again, if you don't like capers, substitute with salt instead.  Don't forget pepper, about 1 teaspoon. Easy! Mix it all up.

  On to stuffing the jalapenos.  Put as much or little as you want!  I stuff these things to the rim.  After you've stuffed them to your liking, wrap them with the bacon.  I found it much easier to start from the end with the stem and spiral down to the tip.  For some reason this trick just works better.  Use 2 toothpicks to secure the bacon to the jalapeno. 

  Place your poppers in a non greased pan.  Don't worry about the spacing, they will all cook the same.  "Pop" them in the oven on bake at 400 degrees. You have 45 minutes, do laundry, flip through a magazine, search River Valley Real Estate's site and just wait for the amazing smell of melting cheese and perfect, perfect bacon. 

 Try to let the poppers cool.  And I mean it when I say "try", you probably won't succeed.  The melted cheese oozing out of the jalapeno is just ah-maz-ing!!!


Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment